homeabout mecontact

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

DIY Eggnog

In my opinion, eggnog is the end-all, be-all of Christmas season treats, but unfortunately the Germans do not agree.  Because of this tragedy, I had to take matters into my own hands. Luckily there are lots of homemade eggnog recipes on the interwebz, so I took my pick and got to work! I was a little nervous about contracting salmonella from the raw eggs at first, but the many reviews I read reassured me that it's very rare and many people have been drinking this homemade recipe for many, many years without incident. Also, apparently pasteurized eggs go through a special process to lessen these risks.

    

Homemade Eggnog

3 cup whole milk or cream
6 eggs
8 tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Beat the eggs with an electric mixer in a bowl until they are uniform and a little frothy. Add the milk and sugar and combine well. Lastly, add the vanilla and nutmeg, and voila! Eggnog's done! Chill for 3+ hours until it is very cold.

I still haven't finished the amount I made from 3 days ago, so I will guess that this makes about 5 servings. 


Enjoy, Prost!



No comments:

Post a Comment