homeabout mecontact

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Enchiladas

Last week we had sushi night, but this week it was enchiladas' turn to shine! If it seems like we are quite the international household, well, you're right. We love our ethnic food, and we love it good (just so Angie knows, I am using "good" in an incorrect way, hehe).




The best compliment to the chef? Asking to eat the scraps out of the pan. Of course you may, Axel!

I love when I have the opportunity to make Mexican food for my roomies. Although I wouldn't say I'm a master by any means, I love being able to share food I grew up with people who have rarely or never had it before. It's like sharing a piece of my home with them. Cuban food is next!

Want to make your own enchiladas? This is how I did it (and it's way easier than you might think).
 Enchiladas (in Germany), serves 5

Ingredients
11 tortillas (it's what fit in the pan)
Cheese, for inside and on top (chedder preferred, gouda used since chedder doesn't exist in Germany)
Chicken, 1 breast per person
Cumin, Chile Powder, Garlic Powder, Salt
1 Onion and Jalapenos, chopped, extra for garnish
1 jar Mexico Sauce
1 jar Chile Sauce

1. Rub the chicken with preferred spices; I used an even blend of cumin and garlic powder, then a dash of chili pepper for spice, and a dash of salt. 
2. Boil a pot of water and submerge the chicken for 10-15 minutes, or until cooked through.
3. In the meantime, chop onion and jalapeno, and saute them in a pan. Careful not to burn them, my roommates and I learned the hard way that jalapeno smoke makes you cough for 20 straight minutes and burns the eyes pretty badly. Set aside when done.
4. I threw the chicken in the same pan for a couple minutes per piece, just to crisp up the outside, but this is optional. Then I had my trusty side kick Angie shread the chicken pieces with 2 forks. 
5. Fill each tortilla with chicken, cheese, and a little of the veggie mixture. Then roll and place the edge side down in the pan (or casserole dish, but we were without). 
6. If you have enchilada sauce, it's time to pour it on top! We didn't have that, so I mixed two mystery sauces, "Mexico Sauce" and "Chili Sauce" from the very small ethnic food section at Kaufland. 
7. Sprinkle cheese on top, and be generous, it's the best part. Then add decoration, such as more jalapenos!
8. Lastly, bake at 175 C for 20 minutes and you've got yourself a damn good meal.  Serve with Halleroder beers! Unless you have Corona at your local grocery store... then go with that.

Prost!

No comments:

Post a Comment