homeabout mecontact

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Schnizel

Hello readers!

Please ignore the frequent layout changes/tweaks. I still haven't found one that I feel like really works for me, and I don't have the time to mess around with it as much as I'd like. I really wish I knew more about HTML and scripting. But trust me, I'm working on it.

But that's not what this post is all about! This post is about schnitzel! The glorious schnitzel, a German delicacy and pretty easy to make, to boot. Angie had been promising us (Americans and choice Macedonians ;D) a "typical German meal" for a while now and we finally got around to making it happen. I was in a constant state of excitement all day because for 1. I haven't had a lot of German food here in Germany, mostly out of fear of jellied meats and 2. I know Angie doesn't like things like jellied meat. And if you don't know what jellied meat is... well good. It's exactly what it sounds like.

Anyway, I thought I'd help out (errr.. or annoy) Angie while she's preparing the meal and show the process on here. My mom is expecting me to be a schnitzel expert by the time I come back so this was prime learning time. Even though when I come back I'll be vegan again... maybe this process can be applied to tofu or soy meat? On second thought, pounding tofu might get messy.

Ok, I'm getting off track, here we go!

First, acquire "pig butt". I'm sure there's a more appropriate term but I'm going with Angie's translation.

Next, beat the pieces senseless with a frying pan to flatten them out.

Salt and pepper them. So simple, so good.

Next, you "dress" the schnitzel according to the lesson Angie's grandmother taught her. First the underwear (flour)... 

Then the skirt (egg wash) ... 

Then the jacket (polenta/bread crumb mixture) ... Hopefully I got those articles of clothing right!

Repeat, then fry!

Oh yes, and take a shot of jager to celebrate! (Don't worry, I was holding my shot in one hand and the camera in the other). 

Unfortunately I have no pictures of the complete meal because once people starting arriving, my focus was hosting duties and sweet conversation. We ate our schnitzel with a side of boiled potatoes, peas, and carrots (all covered in butter of course). We had a great night, and I'll say it a million times: I love my friends! We took some pretty ridiculous portraits on the fish eye camera that maybe I'll share later if the others are okay with it. 

Thank you Angie for a fine German meal!
Prost!



 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment